Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Snow, Snow, More Snow, and TOEFL.iBT Study Guides

          I want to apologize for being a little slow in my postings the past couple weeks.  I wanted to try and post once a week, but life sometimes gets in the way.  Obviously anyone in and around Maine knows we got hit with another foot or so of snow this week.  As a result, my days have been spent shoveling and not writing or working with students.

          I got asked, about a week ago, what study guide I would recommend to a student studying for the TOEFL.iBT.  I always cringe a bit when I get asked these types of questions.  I really dislike these sort of formulaic study guides overall, but I do see the purpose behind them and I understand why they sell.  Let me just be really honest here and tell you that every bit of the content in these study guides can be found online for free.  Yes, there may be a bit more work involved in tracking down the information and yes maybe that extra time is not easy to find in a busy schedule, but I promise the extra work will pay off.  So, my answer to the question of which study guide to go with is to go with none of them, and instead try a little google time on the computer.

          I know I can't leave the questions completely unanswered.  I know many people still want a book.  I do think the study guides are fine and if forced to give an answer I would steer a student towards the Cambridge Preparation for the TOEFL Test by Jolene and Robert Gear.  I think I have the second edition, but they are all fine.  In reality you really only want them for the practice tests and I have found that this particular guide has the most 'user-friendly' software.  I know that many people buy these guides with the good intention of actually using them and reading all the information, yet many never even open them.  Buy whatever guide you feel comfortable with, open it up and work through the practice tests.  If you get a chance skim through the parts that interest you.  However, the internet offers way more for your time and by way of a bit of a plug for people like me; take a class from someone who has experienced the test and who can help you work through your specific needs.


No comments:

Post a Comment