Monday, April 10, 2017

Teaching Philosophy

I had an interesting discussion today, brief but interesting, about teaching philosophy.  I wanted to share my thoughts before I got involved in another task and 12 days had passed before I remember again.  We've all had a week like that, right?  I keep meaning to write a bit more frequently, but life seems to get in the way.

My teaching philosophy has evolved over the years and continues to evolve as I become more knowledgeable.  I actually don't remember what I first developed as my initial teaching philosophy but I am sure I have it saved somewhere on a thumb drive.  I was actually meeting with the professor who first forced me to write it down and we discussed that many students,  hoping to teach, have never developed a teaching philosophy.  Yet, they want to teach just as I did when I realized that I did not have any thoughts on a teaching philosophy of my own.

To me, the basic tenet of my teaching philosophy is that I want to try and deliver the best material to my students that I can.  I feel that as a professional I owe them nothing less than my best.  This is what motivates me to continue to learn and to even start writing this blog.  It is a little hard to put oneself out there and become open for criticism.  However, without being challenged, we tend to stagnate.  In all my years of work, not just teaching but any kind of work, the most hated two phrases I hear are, "Because that's how we've always done it." or any phrase with "can't."  I am not sure why people repeat those types of phrases but they seem to be the go to excuse for not making change. Usually they have been espoused by the mysterious "they."  I once asked someone to, "Give me they's phone number."  It made me smile when they became so flustered that they did not realize my mistake in pronoun usage.  I am always seeking to change things.  I figure at my age the worst that can happen is I get a little embarrassed by my failure.  Who cares!  So, give the students your best, even if it ends up being a bit of a bomb.  They will appreciate the effort.

My next basic tenet is to use real material.  If you understand that language evolves then you have to understand that the materials we use to teach; the language, the texts, the exercises, etc. all have to evolve as well.  I will find some old exercises floating around and realize they are no longer valid but still in use for some reason.  Why not change them out for newer material?  Plus you have to become technically adept and try some different techniques for delivering your material.  There is nothing wrong with using some technology if it is applicable.  Believe me, the students definitely use tech.

Finally, be flexible.  As I stated in an earlier blog, I was forced to do some radical rethinking when faced with a class that I just didn't seem to be reaching with my stated syllabus.  I had to try a few different and new things, and I was able to incorporate a little class observation into my thinking.  There is nothing wrong with taking part of a class period and just chatting with your students.  Find out what they are looking for and what interests them.  And, as I stated above, try some new techniques.

I want to close with just a bit of generic advice that was offered to me.  Don't always feel you have to teach to the now.  Sometimes you are teaching to the future.  What I mean to say is that if you give your all and it seems things are not working out, just continue to provide your best and I assure you that a few weeks down the road the class will click and all that information will come flooding back to the students that you thought they were missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment