Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Driving in Riyadh

        I had to write a short post about my newest adventure.  Today, I got the opportunity to drive in Riyadh.  Let me take a moment to set the picture.  Saudi Arabia is by any reasonable view a male-dominated society.  Furthermore, many of the the drivers are reasonably wealthy and have an air of privilege.  Now, take the attitude that you might imagine these male drivers to have and apply it to the belief that they have the right-of-way to do almost anything behind the wheel.  Finally, add to this picture the fact that safety rules seem to not apply anywhere on the road, lanes are only sort of apparent, and distracted driving is the norm rather than the exception. 

        It was into this madness that I ventured for the first time this afternoon.  I was asked to accompany a co-worker to the airport.  He has been here a bit longer and, in truth, did the majority of the driving.  On our way we approached a slow bit of traffic.  One of the cars in front of us cut in front, moving from right to left across a lane or two of traffic.  At some point he realized he was approaching what now was stopped traffic, so he slammed on brakes.  He ended up hitting the barrier at the median.  This made his car veer radically to the right where he over-corrected and the back of his car then hit the median as well; almost turning his car around 180 degrees.  He eventually recovered and continued to drive on as if nothing had happened.  I did not get a chance to see the damage as he moved too far ahead of us for me to look. 

        We reached the airport with  a few more minor, close calls.  I was asked to wait in the driver's seat while my co-worker went into the airport.  As one might guess, the parking control vehicle approached and I was forced to drive off and circle back to the terminal twice.  It was perhaps only 20 minutes of driving, but I was hyper aware of the cars around me.  I managed to navigate the traffic, being cut off only one time.  I was more than happy to relinquish the driving back to my co-worker once he returned. 

        I thought at that moment that I might stay on the compound the entire time .... but, alas I was told that I will be routinely driving to another location to actually instruct the course!!!


1 comment:

  1. John! How to reach you? Try to find you all over the place! Carlie

    ReplyDelete