Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Humble Beginnings

       Humble Beginnings

        About seven years ago, I was nearing the end of my Army career.  It struck me one day that I had not done much planning for my future.  I like to think I am young at heart.  At that moment perhaps I was thinking too much about being young and not enough about growing older.



        I have really only enjoyed a few activities in my life; the Army, reading, games of all kinds, and exploring new cultures.  I was sure there was a potential future career there somewhere.  But, still in that "I'm young with plenty of time" mindset, I decided to sort of table my thoughts for awhile; sort of the "non" plan plan.  I decided to become a Senior ROTC instructor.  Being from Texas, I had hoped to find a position near my home of Lubbock.  Saving the main story for another time, suffice it to say, I was sort of gently coerced into moving to Maine to teach at the University of Southern Maine in Portland.  It became a wonderful choice as I fell in love with the city, the school, and all of my students.  I also made the decision to go back to school and complete another graduate degree.  As I mentioned, I have enjoyed reading since very early in life.  I was currently enjoying teaching, so I decided to major in Literacy with an emphasis in teaching English Language Learner (ELL) students.  That way I could also fold in my enjoyment of other cultures.  My brilliant "non" plan was coming together.


       As a quick sidebar, I would like to mention that I met one of the finest mentors I have ever had in life while working through my course of study, Doctor Andrea Stairs-Davenport. I first met her online and quickly concluded from her emails that she was a matronly professor long experience.  Well, to my complete shock, when we met in person a few months later, I instead met a young, enthusiastic, passionate, and caring professional.  I actually think I am older than her by several years, but being a gentleman I never asked for confirmation of that thought.

       Fast forward a few years and here I am trying to start a second career as an English language instructor.  My wife and I, oh I met here in Maine as well, have embarked on a new venture we have chosen to call, Lotus Learning Center.  Basically we have a desire to become a full-service language instruction and cultural exchange center here in Augusta, Maine.  We would love if you stop by and take a look.  I have stuck a link below.



       I hope to continue to write posts about all things ELL, TOEFL, and whatever else I might find interesting.  I hope you return for frequent visits and to share your comments.


Lotus Learning Center






No comments:

Post a Comment