Monday, February 27, 2017

Owning Vocabulary

"John, what it the best way to study for the TOEFL?"

          I actually get asked this question often, or I get asked some variation of it when studying English language in general.  My answer is always the same.  You have to increase your vocabulary. To truly learn a language or in the case of studying for the TOEFL to achieve a great score, you have to own the necessary vocabulary.  I tell all of my TOEFL students within a few minutes of beginning any preparation class that they must increase their vocabulary by a few thousand words to truly achieve success on the exam.  I think this is true for any endeavor which requires skill to achieve success.  A surgeon must own the ability to effectively use surgical tools and techniques or it might be a sad day for their patient.  I am sure a competent surgeon could pick up a new tool and perhaps puzzle out its use, but I don't want them doing that while they are operating on me!  Language is no different.  One needs to understand the words they are using and when to use them appropriately. When specifically speaking about the TOEFL, every section involves knowing the meaning of specific words.  In fact, I would say about one-quarter or more of the questions are specifically vocabulary questions.  Either the question ask for the specific meaning to a highlighted word or a question might ask for the meaning of a passage which requires knowing what the words making up that passage means.  So, despite the sad faces that often follow my giving the answer, that learning more vocabulary is key; I stick by my thoughts.  I am sorry, I don't have any cute, innovative, or even interesting answer other than the one I give.

          I admit, here and now, that even I am horrible when it comes to the English language.  After all my time studying, I often time still don't understand syntax, basic grammar, or even spelling when English is involved.  I used to not believe when a teacher would answer my question with, "John, that's just how is ... ".

          To all my TOEFL students out there; study your vocabulary!  I will hopefully have a chance to give you some methods to make that easier when I next post.

         Lotus Learning Center






No comments:

Post a Comment