Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Cultural Understanding

        I have now been in Riyadh for about two full months.  I wanted to take the opportunity to speak to the issue of culture.  About a year ago, I was able to teach an undergraduate course on culture and diversity in the classroom.  It was an introduction to culturally and linguistically diverse (CLD) students.  I used to say "dealing" with CLD students, but I realized that the word "dealing" kind of has a negative connotation.  It implies that they are a problem that has to be dealt with in the classroom.  Instead I want to think of them as bringing a positive influence to the classroom.  I believe that each student is unique and I truly feel that every student deserves a voice in the classroom.  I think it is important that each student develop a sense of ownership in their educational journey. 

        For this post, I want to speak more towards working in a CLD environment versus teaching in one.  I want to address the topic of working with international colleagues.  I am not sure if I addressed this in a prior post.  It does present a different aspect of teaching that I have been a bit remiss in discussing.  This is not the first occasion that I have had to work with international instructors, but generally they have been in the minority in an office.  In my present situation, the reverse is true.  If my numbers are correct there are 19 instructors at the institute and only two of us are heritage English speakers.  The remaining 17 fall into one of two categories; civilian Saudi instructors or Pakistani military instructors.  The Saudis have all been to school in the U.S. and have worked some length of time in an English teaching environment.  The Pakistanis are "trained" instructors and English is one of the official languages of their country. 

        The numbers do present a unique challenge.  Other than myself and my one American co-worker, the entire office is Muslim; as is the entire student population.  I have worked with and taught Muslims before, but again only in small numbers.  The new issue is that they are Muslims living in one of the strictest Islamic countries in the world.  Additionally, I am here at the behest of the Saudi government and I am paid by this same government.  The issues arise when Islam and Arabic culture conflict with my 50+ years of Americanism, or when their mission to validate Islam to me makes me uncomfortable to the point that I excuse myself and take a walk.  This is usually the behavior of the Saudis.  The Pakistanis seem less enthusiastic about said mission.  I realize that I am making light of this to some degree, but it is a real issue.  How do we discuss a night out at the local sports bar or rave about an new BBQ joint when pork and beer are off-limits.  And, when their speaking about Islam becomes a bit unbearable, unlike working in the U.S., my only true recourse is to quit.  There is no employee right to formally complain to a supervisor or to human resources.  The supervisor is just as likely to be on the same mission.  Overall this has not been a major issue and I am comfortable in the fact that I feel I could speak frankly to most of them and they would respect my feelings.  I just don't want to "cry wolf", so to speak.  Additionally, some of their behavior comes from a position of general concern and desire to learn and to interact with a heritage English speaker.  They just always seem to parse it around Islam.  Overall, I am happy to be here and I feel this will be a huge benefit to my knowledge as an educator.

        I say all of this to just point out that the notion of mutual respect is the single most important characteristic of an educator.  I respect my colleagues and I strive daily to earn their respect in turn.  I think the interchange, even at its most dogmatic, provides for learning.  As always, I am forever a student.




No comments:

Post a Comment